IT Operations Placement
Location: Sheffield, UK
What does this role entail?
Egress Software Technologies (est. 2007) is an award-winning provider of data encryption services designed to secure all forms of electronic information via a single platform. Egress’ encryption services are currently trusted globally by over 2000 enterprises, across multiple sectors. We're proud of our award-winning technology which has been recognised as the very best in the business. At the 2018 Computing Security Awards we were named 'Encryption Solution of the Year' and ‘Cloud Security Solution of the Year’, as well as ‘Best Public Sector Project’ at the UK IT Industry Awards. In the past year we have brought on 100 people into our 250 people organisation, and growth is set to keep going across our five offices in London, Sheffield, Boston, Toronto and Amsterdam. Our success in hiring graduates, placement students and apprentices was recognised at the Rate My Placement 2018 National Undergraduate Employability Awards, where we were shortlisted for the 'Best Small to Medium-sized Employer'.
As Egress Software Technologies continues its path of exciting growth, we are offering the exceptional opportunity to join our Operations team. This candidate will be an undergraduate student looking to undertake a 12-month placement in our Sheffield office in our Operations department as part of their university degree, commencing Summer 2020.
Our Placement Community consists of ambitious team players with excellent interpersonal skills and a get-up-and-go attitude. Our fast-paced growth and unique company culture welcomes new employees and inspires them to thrive.
Our Internal Infrastructure (IT Internal Support) team is charged with designing, maintaining and developing our internal IT infrastructure – both on-site and cloud. Covering over 200 employees in all of our offices. The team supports a mixture of desktop operating systems, on-premise and public cloud servers and cloud-based applications such as Office365. You will report to the IT Manager/Technical Operations Manager.
Your main responsibilities will be:
- Addressing internal support tickets made by employees
- Supporting desktop operating systems - Windows 10, Linux and Mac OS
- Supporting on-prem and cloud IT server infrastructure - Windows 2016 and Centos 7
- Troubleshooting networking and VPN issues
- Supporting all employee devices (mobile phones, laptops, desktops) as well as the IP-based office phone systems
- Supporting other internal applications – e.g. Salesforce, Zoom Video Conferencing, Office365
- Driving the onward enhancement of the Egress IT Infrastructure - by contributing to project-based work, e.g. the hardware upgrades/migration, rolling out new services
If you think you could be our next IT Operations Placement student, please send us your CV and accompanying Cover Letter.Please note that applications without a Cover Letter WILL NOT be considered.
Deadline for applications is Friday, 7th February 2020.
What kind of person are we looking for?
- An analytical mind, and able to use tools such as Excel (for example Pivot tables) to turn data in to meaningful information to management
- A basic understanding of networking (IP addresses and DNS)
- The ability to work on complex problems, applying a logical investigative approach to solving problems
- Good communication skills to work in remote teams
- A basic knowledge of scripting (e.g. Bash or Powershell)
- A basic knowledge of operating system administration (Windows and/or Linux)
What qualifications do we expect the final candidate to have?
This role is suited to a current second year Computer Science/Electrical engineering (or related subject) student with a solid technical background in desktop applications and networking, who has a strong desire to succeed and pursue a career in Internal Infrastructure Support. We seek candidates who thrive on challenges and constantly seek to extend their technical portfolio.
To protect the wellbeing of our employees, our company policy states that all employees must live within a 90-minute commute or be willing to relocate for the year.
What rewards and benefits would you get in this role?
The base salary for this position is £15,000 per annum.
Employee benefits include:
- 25 days annual leave
- Free fruit, tea, coffee, and breakfasts
- Monthly fully-funded office socials (meals out, quiz nights, etc.)
- Friday beer o’clock
- Discounted gym scheme
- Company sports teams
- Pool League
- Free Eyecare Vouchers
- Discounted RAC Breakdown Cover
- Cycle-to-work discount scheme
- Invite to our Annual Employee Team Building Event – overnight trip away to a UK resort, all meals and accommodation paid for
- Internal Recognition Scheme
- Charity Events
Why work at Egress?
At Egress, we are proud of our uniquely agile, effervescent, and people-focused environment. Our core values of Culture, Excellence, Ambition, and Integrity run through everyone who works here, and through everything we do.
Based in the heart of Sheffield, just opposite the railway station, you’ll work in a friendly, supportive environment alongside colleagues with a wide range of technical experience and knowledge. Although we’re a growing company, you’ll have direct access to senior technical staff and the ability to take ownership of what you do, with a genuine voice in design decisions. Your development and growth genuinely matter here, and you’ll be able to foster your skills whilst working in a truly satisfying and exciting role.