Our Diversity and Belonging Forum is for everyone - just like our workplace.
Software Development Placement
Join our Placement Programme in Sheffield
Position: Software Development
Location: Acero, Sheffield
Role Requirements: Second Year Undergraduate Student at a UK-based University, predicted a 2:1 or above in a Software Development based degree
Duration: 12 months, commencing Summer 2022
Salary: £18,000 per annum
Who are Egress?
Our vision is for a connected world in which people communicate efficiently and securely. To achieve this, we provide human layer security to protect individual users and stop breaches before they happen. Our patented technologies are built using leading-edge contextual machine learning and powerful encryption that mitigate modern risks in ways that other solutions simply can’t achieve. Today, we provide intelligent email security and collaboration solutions that prevent accidental and intentional breaches, protect sensitive data, and equip CISOs and their teams with the detailed reporting required for compliance purposes.
Egress is headquartered in London, with regional offices in the UK, the US and Canada.
Our success in hiring graduates, placement students and apprentices has been recognised at The National Undergraduate Employability Awards, where we have been shortlisted five years in a row for the ‘Best small to Medium-sized Employer’.
As Egress Software Technologies continues its path of exciting growth, we are offering the exceptional opportunity to join our Product Development team.
Our Placement community consists of ambitious team players with excellent interpersonal skills and a get-up-and-go attitude. Our fast-paced growth and unique company culture welcomes new employees and inspires them to thrive.
What would I be doing as Software Development Placement at Egress?
The Egress Placement Program is a fantastic opportunity for ambitious individuals looking to take their first steps in Software Development in a software-based IT Security organisation. Our Software Developers are at the heart of our new product development initiatives and are responsible for the analysis, design, development and documentation of the Egress product portfolio. Working alongside our QA and in close collaboration with our Project Management colleagues, you will be working to deliver against priorities established by the Product Management team and Board of Directors.
The day to day content of the role varies enormously, but you are likely to:
- Develop and maintain baseline knowledge of some elements of the Egress product portfolio from both an End-User and Engineering point of view
- Author technical design documentation for discrete modules of code
- Implement modular changes to existing code executing programming tasks defined by more senior colleagues
- Debug own code with minimal support from others
- Work within an agile scrum team
- Document how to test a feature or module they have written
- Participate in and contribute to regular team scrums / stand-ups
- Participate in code reviews on a weekly basis, seeking and absorbing guidance from more senior colleagues
- Write real code that will be used in real commercial products.
What tech stack will I be using?
Our development departments use different technologies. When you apply to this position, you will be asked which tech stack you wish to apply to. The options are:
- Full Stack Developer – Python, Node.JS, MongoDB, NGINX, Git, Jenkins, Docker, Terraform, Salt, SQL
We do not expect you to have much experience using these technologies, but we do expect you to understand the basics and the drive to learn these technologies and more.
Would I suit this role?
We are looking for talented individuals who are currently second year students based at a UK university studying a computer-based degree. You will have a mathematical or scientific mind, and you will have a passion for Software Development. You will possess a natural communication style and outstanding interpersonal skills. A demonstrable ability to work on your own initiative and as part of a wider team is essential. Full training in the company’s product portfolio will be provided to you.
You will be looking for a 12-month industrial placement year within our Software Development team based in our Sheffield office commencing in Summer 2022.
If you manage to impress us throughout the duration of your placement year, it is possible you could be offered a permanent graduate position.
To protect the wellbeing of our employees, our company policy states that all employees must live within a 90-minute commute or be willing to relocate for the year.
How can I apply?
If you think you could be our next Software Development Student, click the link above that will take you to our Undergraduate careers page and please attach your CV and accompanying Cover Letter.
Please note that applications without a Cover Letter will not be considered
- Charity events
- Monthly socials funded by the company
- Annual fully-funded company kick off events
- An additional day of annual leave after your first year
- Flexible dress code
- Management / peer recognition schemes
- White Collar Factory perks including rooftop bar and running track
- Beer o'clock
- Pool league
- Free eye-care vouchers on completion of probation
- Free breakfasts
- Free fruit
- Fully-funded BUPA private health cover on completion of probation
- Discounted gym membership
- Company sports teams
- Cycle to work (discounted bike and equipment) scheme
- 25 days annual leave
- WCF discounts
- RAC discounted breakdown cover
- Rush hair discount
- Contributory pension scheme (ER: 4%)
- BUPA perks
- Egress Perks portal (retail discount scheme)
- Eligibility to participate in Enterprise Management Investment (EPI) stock option scheme after 1 year's service
Our Sheffield office
About our Sheffield office
Our Sheffield office is conveniently located in the centre of the city's new and growing digital campus. It's a short walk from Sheffield train station, and a shorter walk to Sheffield city centre and Sheffield Hallam's university campus.