Linux Platform Engineer
Location: Sheffield, UK
The Platform Engineer is a vital part of Operations team, working with Architects and the Development team to drive Egress’s continuous deployment strategy. You will be responsible for the infrastructure that keeps Egress moving, relying heavily on cloud services. The right person will need to be able to liaise, plan and react quickly to ensure minimal downtime.
Alongside being a strong advocate for digital solutions and approaches across the department, you will need to manage the support of development teams in configuring applications for development.
You will have a background in systems administration and a good understanding of development practices.
What You’ll Do...
• Lead the development engagement to improve and standardise operational requirements across products (e.g, logging, application telemetry)
• Identify opportunities for improving cost efficiency programmes
• Work with development on application architecture to increase operational availability, resilience, supportability and scalability.
• Support the VP of architecture to drive standardisation in development for operational efficiencies
• Identify and implement KPIs to measure the success of initiatives
• Research and provide guidance on cloud native technologies
• Ensure that security is built in to design and development
• Ensure that quality is built in to operational initiatives
How You’ll Do It...
Any experience in the following would be advantageous
• Ubuntu and Centos (or Redhat) Linux
• Server deployment automation (terraform/cloud formation)
• Server configuration management (puppet/chef/salt/ansible)
• Cloud Services – Azure or AWS
• Strong networking skills
• Email protocol/standards DMARC/DKIM/SPF
• Active Directory site design/management
• Network Security
• MongoDB or MS SQL
• IIS (web/SMTP)
• Barracuda firewalls
What rewards and benefits would I get in this role?
• 25 days annual leave (26 in your second year with Egress)
• Free breakfasts
• Monthly fully funded office socials (Trampolining, Bowling, Rounders, Sports Day, Pub Quiz, Board Games Night etc.)
• Work hard, play hard culture
• Pension scheme
• BUPA Private Health Cover
• Cycle to work discount scheme
• Childcare voucher scheme
• Invite to our Annual Kick Off event in February (2x nights away in UK resort, team building activities, all meals and accommodation paid for)
Egress is proud of our uniquely agile, effervescent, and people focussed environment. Our core values of Culture, Excellence, Ambition and Integrity run through everyone who works for us, and everything we do.
We are a sociable company, working hard and playing hard in equal measure. The atmosphere in our offices is friendly and supportive, with a competitive edge! We enjoy regular nights out and there are plenty of social activities including company funded team lunches and monthly activities. Employees also enjoy free breakfasts and fruit, and top end coffee.