Software Development Placement 2020
We are offering an exceptional opportunity for an undergraduate to take part in a 12-month placement in our Software Development team as part of your university degree based in our Sheffield office commencing in Summer 2020.
Egress Software Technologies is the only provider of human layer email security that prevents breaches, protects data using encryption and quantifies risk for ongoing compliance, all via a single platform. Our services are currently used by organisations around the world across multiple sectors. We’re proud of our award-winning technology which is the very best in the business.
As Egress Software Technologies continues its path of exciting growth, we are offering an exceptional opportunity for an undergraduate to take part in a 12-month placement in our Software Development team as part of your university degree based in our Sheffield office commencing in Summer 2020.
What would I be doing during a Software Development Placement at Egress?
The Egress Placement Program is a fantastic opportunity for ambitious individuals looking to take their first steps in Software Development in a software-based IT Security organisation. Our Software Developers are at the heart of our new product development initiatives and are responsible for the analysis, design, development and documentation of the Egress product portfolio. Working in close collaboration with QA and Project Management colleagues, you will be working to deliver against priorities established by the Product Management team and Board of Directors.
The day to day content of the role varies enormously, but you are likely to:
- Develop and maintain baseline knowledge of some elements of the Egress product portfolio from both an End-User and Engineering point of view
- Author technical design documentation for discrete modules of code
- Implement modular changes to existing code executing programming tasks defined by more senior colleagues
- Debug own code with minimal support from others
- Work within an agile scrum team
- Document how to test a feature or module they have written
- Participate in and contribute to regular team scrums / stand-ups
- Participate in code reviews on a weekly basis, seeking and absorbing guidance from more senior colleagues
- Write real code that will be used in real commercial products.
What tech stack will I be using?
Our development departments use different technologies. When you apply to this position, you will be asked which tech stack you wish to apply to. The options are:
- Full Stack Developer – Python, Node.JS, MongoDB, NGINX, Git, Jenkins, Docker, Terraform, Salt, SQL
We do not expect you to have much experience using these technologies, but we do expect you to understand the basics and the drive to learn these technologies and more.
Would I suit this role?
We are looking for talented individuals who are currently second year students based at a UK university studying a computer-based degree. You will have a mathematical or scientific mind, and you will have a passion for Software Development. You will possess a natural communication style and outstanding interpersonal skills. A demonstrable ability to work on your own initiative and as part of a wider team is essential. Full training in the company’s product portfolio will be provided to you.
You will be looking for a 12-month industrial placement year within our Software Development team based in our Sheffield office commencing in Summer 2020.
If you manage to impress us throughout the duration of your placement year, it is possible you could be offered a permanent graduate position.
To protect the wellbeing of our employees, our company policy states that all employees must live within a 90-minute commute or be willing to relocate for the year.
Would I suit this role?
If you think you could be one of our next Software Development Placement students, please submit your CV and a short, personalised covering letter via our website.
Please note that applications without a Cover Letter WILL NOT be considered.
Deadline for applications is Monday 25th May 2020
Egress is a market leader in intelligent, human-layer data security. We are one of the fastest growing SaaS security vendors in the world - with our tech recently winning 'Security Innovation of the Year' year at the UK IT Industry Awards.
We secure 75,000,000 emails daily, over 5 million people use our software, and we have we have over 1,000 enterprise clients. We are not only well-established, but also very well-funded - allowing us to become one of the most successful security vendors in the world.
Our success in hiring graduates, placement students and apprentices was recognised at the Rate My Placement 2018 National Undergraduate Employability Awards, where we were shortlisted for the 'Best Small to Medium-sized Employer'.
We are proud of our uniquely agile, effervescent, and people-focused equal opportunity environment. Our core values of Culture, Excellence, Ambition and Integrity run through everyone who works for us, and everything we do.
We are a sociable company, working hard and playing hard in equal measure. The atmosphere in our offices is friendly and supportive, with a competitive edge! We enjoy regular nights out and there are plenty of social activities including company funded team lunches and monthly activities.
- 25 days annual leave
- Rooftop Bar
- Monthly Fully-funded Office Socials e.g. Trampolining, Bowling, Sports Day, Pub Quizzes, etc.
- Invite to our Annual Employee Team Building Event – overnight trip away to a UK resort, all meals and accommodation paid for
- Pool League
- Friday Beer O’Clock
- Internal Recognition Scheme
- Charity Events
- Free breakfasts and fruit
- Discounted gym scheme
- Free Eyecare Vouchers
- Company Sports Teams
- Cycle to Work Discount Scheme
- Access to running track on the rooftop of the White Collar Factory
- RAC Discounted Breakdown Cover
- White Collar Factory Office Perks e.g. Discounted Theatre and Concert Tickets
About our Sheffield office
Our Sheffield office is conveniently located in the centre of the city's new and growing digital campus.
It's a short walk from Sheffield train station, and a shorter walk to Sheffield city centre and Sheffield Hallam's university campus.