Monitor confidential data sharing across your organization
- Egress Switch Email Discovery helps organizations evaluate the types and quantities of confidential data being shared by specific departments and employees
Regulatory laws and compliance are increasingly driving the need for more comprehensive and integrated security procedures and practices across all industries.
One of the biggest challenges faced is understanding the flow of sensitive data leaving an organization, in particular via email – which remains the most popular mechanism for sharing information with external third parties.
Evaluate the flow of sensitive data
When implementing email security and data loss prevention measures, many organizations struggle to identify what types and classifications of sensitive information are being shared by individuals and departments.
Switch Email Discovery is quickly and easily deployed within an organization’s existing email infrastructure to silently monitor all inbound and outbound email, providing detailed reports on the confidential information being shared.
Flexible email monitoring
- Create specific rules to scan for relevant and targeted content based on your organization’s information sharing requirement
- Scan for sensitive data shared via email, based on industry-specific data protection regulations, individual business function and universal policies, including:
- Key words or phrases
- Case reference numbers
- Document trends or types
- Unstructured content
- Switch Email Discovery is also supplied with a list of default universal policies to scan for, including:
- Credit card and financial information
- Social Security numbers
- Passport numbers
- Data protection-related content
- Child protection and adult social services content
- Personally identifiable information
Track data sharing trends
- Detailed analysis and reporting displays the security-critical information flowing throughout the organization
- These reports highlight key data sharing trends and any specific areas of vulnerability, as well as the following:
- Summary of emails processed and associated data characteristics
- Summary of message types
- Details of attachments, including size and type
- Demographic of senders and recipients
- Data loss prevention message triggers
- The email domains that sensitive content is sent to
- The individuals sending sensitive content
- Message trends by volume and date / time
- Use findings from these reports to implement email security policies which suit the organization’s newly identified data protection requirements
- When deployed via Egress Switch Gateway, Egress Switch Secure Email can enforce flexible policies at both the desktop and the gateway to help protect all sensitive information shared both internally and externally
Switch Email Discovery overview
• Understand the flow of sensitive information
Monitor all inbound and outbound emails to gain oversight into how sensitive information is shared by individuals and the organisation as a whole
• Flexible monitoring
Scan for sensitive data shared via email based on industry-specific data protection regulations, individual business function and universal policies
• Detailed reporting functionality
Receive comprehensive analysis of information sharing trends to identify key areas in need of data loss prevention measures
• Implement data security measures based on specific policies
Use the information gathered to develop and deploy robust information security measures tailored to the specific requirements identified
Putting policies in place with Egress Switch Secure Email
The findings from the reports can subsequently be used to implement email security policies to suit an organisation’s newly identified data protection requirements. When deployed via Egress Switch Gateway, Egress Switch Secure Email can enforce flexible policies at both the desktop and the gateway to help protect all sensitive information shared both internally and externally.
For example, where user acknowledgment and involvement is required, policies can be integrated at the desktop to trigger alerts and messaging to prompt users to apply security measures. Automatic encryption, meanwhile, can be enforced based on content, destination or source of attachments. Switch Gateway has been designed to integrate seamlessly into existing email flow either by routing all email through the server or by enabling a journal in Microsoft Exchange and sending a copy of all emails to the Switch Gateway server. As Switch Gateway sits on the SMTP protocol, it is possible to integrate it to any email platform or topology.
• Microsoft Windows Server 2008R2 / 2012R2 (32 / 64 bit)
• Microsoft .NET framework 4.0 + Microsoft SQL Compact Edition 3.5+ / SQL Express / SQL Standard
• Connection to https://switch.egress.com (443)
Trial The Software
We believe that using Switch for yourself is the best way to demonstrate how effective it can be. So why not contact us to set up a free software trial today?
Thursday 19th January 2017, 13:00 EST – The Enemy Within: Overcoming a Company’s Greatest Security Vulnerability – Its People
It has been reported that approximately a quarter of breaches are caused by human error or employee negligence. With the increasing costs and risks associated with data breaches, we will be discussing...Read More