Email encryption integration with Office 365 and Google Apps
Egress Switch Secure Email and Switch Secure File Transfer services can combine with any Office 365 or Google Apps environment
- For Office 365 and Google environments that use a Microsoft Outlook desktop client, Switch can be deployed directly into Outlook via a fully customizable add-in. The add-in provides policy-based encryption for both internal and external recipients.
- For organizations that are looking to simplify end-user experience using Outlook Web Access or Google Apps web client, Switch offers customization and policy-driven encryption via the Switch Office 365 or Google Chrome app.
Flexible hosting options for secure mail infrastructure
Switch offers flexible deployment options for adopting a fully-hosted Office 365 and Google Apps environment.
By performing encryption at the device level, sent items and inbox content can be stored in encrypted format and therefore secured at all times, regardless of where the underlying data is stored. Applying policies means that sensitive content can be transparently decrypted for authorized viewing and always re-encrypted at rest.
The unique Switch encryption key management system ensures that data and keys are kept separate at all times, providing users with the highest levels of assurance about who can access their data.
Benefits of Switch integrated encryption services
- Data encrypted at rest and in transit
- Flexible deployment supports hybrid and fully-hosted implementations
- Encryption at the desktop secures inbox data and sent items
- Control and audit all information leaving your organization
- Revoke access to information, even after it has left the Google Apps or Office 365 environment
- Support a fully mobile workforce using secure mobile apps
- Remain compliant with industry or government regulations regarding secure data exchange
Authenticated access control
Switch provides the capability to set up additional authentication protocols for accessing secure content or tying into existing authentication, such as Active Directory via Active Directory Federation Services (ADFS). Switch also supports Secure Assertion Mark-up Language (SAML) 2.0 protocol, which enables easy integration with third-party identity and cloud SSO providers.
Switch integration with Google Apps and Office 365 overview
Microsoft Office 365 and Google Apps offer significant benefits and cost savings to organisations across all industries, however one of the biggest barriers to adoption is the concern around the security of data stored and released from the Office 365 environment.
Being able to deploy Egress Switch within these environments provides a highly integrated and scalable security solution. For organisations that are looking to simplify end-user experience using Outlook Web Access or Google Apps web client, Switch offers customisation and policy-driven encryption via the Switch Office 365 or Google Chrome app.
Flexible deployment at the Gateway
The Switch Client can also operate in a hybrid mode, with the Outlook Add-in or Chrome extension configured to tag messages for encryption. Messages tagged for encryption either by policy or user selection can be automatically encrypted by Egress Switch Gateway at the boundary before exit from the Google Apps environment. Switch Gateway provides seamless encryption and decryption on the SMTP protocol. Utilising the comprehensive rules engine in Google Apps, email encryption and decryption can be tightly integrated into the Google Apps platform. Switch Gateway can either be self-hosted or hosted by Egress, with the option to store email in encrypted or decrypted format based on classification or sensitivity.
Authenticated access control
Switch provides the capability to set up additional authentication protocols for accessing secure content or tying into existing authentication, such as Active Directory via Active Directory Federation Services (ADFS). Switch also supports Secure Assertion Mark-up Language (SAML) 2.0 protocol, which enables easy integration with third party identity and cloud SSO providers.
Features and technical specification
• Provide transparent encryption of email in transit and at rest utilising AES-256 bit encryption
• MS Outlook Add-in for Outlook 2003/2007/2010/ 2013 provides local and gateway based encryption
• Google Apps Chrome Extension available for integrated browser experience
• Encrypt sensitive content at rest within Google Apps cloud and local client cache
• Mobile apps for Google Android, Apple IOS and MS Windows Phone for on-the-move email encryption
• Integrates with Google Apps data loss prevention and content filter policies
• Egress Switch gateway integrates seamlessly with Google Apps and provides infinitely scalable cloud architecture
• Integrates with Google Apps hybrid mode
• Provide email and document classification
• Real-time access control and auditing of all encrypted content
Switch integration user experience
Office 365 user experience
For Office 365 environments that utilise a Microsoft Outlook desktop client, Switch can be deployed directly into Outlook via a fully customisable add-in. The add-in can provide policy-based encryption for both internal and external recipients.
For organisations looking to simplify end-user experience using Outlook Web Access, Switch can provide customisation and policy-driven encryption via the Switch Office 365 app.
Google Apps user experience
Egress Switch Gateway allows for client-less use of Egress Switch, and can be deployed alongside a Google Apps account. A Switch Gateway is deployed for your organization and accepts SMTP relayed traffic from your mail server. The Switch Gateway encrypts the message based upon configurable user policies and sends it on to the next delivery hop.
The Chrome extension allows users to choose from a simple drop-down menu whether or not they want an email encrypted. The extension includes an additional ‘Security’ setting to the compose process whereby users decide whether or not they want an email encrypted. This subsequently modifies the subject line, although that is hidden from the user at this stage.
The extension also adds an icon to the extension area in the top right hand side of the browser (at the end of the address bar). This icon provides some menu options:
From here you can access:
Learn more: This will take the user to the main www.egress.com site and provide specific help and information for Google Apps users.
My Packages: Allows the user to access the online Egress Switch Package manager to see previous secure messages.
About: Provides a quick tutorial and version information.
Trial the software
We believe that using Egress for yourself is the best way to demonstrate how effective it can be. So why not contact us to set up a free software trial today?Sign Up
Not Sure What You Need?
We recognise that defining your specific security requirement is not easy and is often dependent on a number of factors including budget, hosting and integration. So why not use our selection tool to help define what you need.Find Out Now
Thursday 19th January 2017, 13:00 EST – The Enemy Within: Overcoming a Company’s Greatest Security Vulnerability – Its People
It has been reported that approximately a quarter of breaches are caused by human error or employee negligence. With the increasing costs and risks associated with data breaches, we will be discussing...Read More