Document security classification add-in for Microsoft Office
Enabling organizations to apply the right levels of security and protection to documents and email content they share
- Egress Switch Email and Document Security Classifier helps organizations and end-users apply visual and system identifiers (meta-data) to Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents
All organizations hold and distribute some level of sensitive information in both structured and unstructured data formats. Without having a detailed view of all data within the business it is very difficult to understand how to appropriately apply security measures to protect this content, and hence develop an effective data security strategy.
Being able to visually and programmatically identify and mark data with appropriate classification markings can significantly improve an organization’s ability to control data flow and provide data loss prevention (DLP).
Document security classification with flawless integration
Switch Email and Document Classifier fits perfectly in existing workflow
- Seamless integration of dynamically configurable classification labels in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint providing email classification and document classification
- Classification policies integrate into Switch Secure Email encryption policies to enforce and simplify the message encryption process
- Fully configurable end-user experience including the ability to enforce classification for any new or existing documents
- Header and footer classification information is fully customizable based on corporate requirements, including text and branding customization
- Perform classification of email and Office documents at the desktop or email gateway
- Assign dynamic policies based on user, group, or organization-wide
- Maintain detailed auditing and tracking of information as it enters and leaves your organization
- Integrate with existing DLP and content filtering tools
Promote data security awareness
Document Security classification improves end-user education and behavior
- Combined with Egress Switch secure email and file encryption technology, use Switch Email and Document Classifier to educate employees, promote security awareness and change behavior
- Force users to classify content at the point of creation, when updating existing documents, and when distributing it via email
- Tailor classification policies to match existing Switch encryption policies and provide a simplified end-user experience
- Force compliance with information assurance standards such as ISO27001 where ISO27001 data classification is required
- Interact with users via customizable dialogs and prompts
Automatically classify and encrypt data
Apply security policy based on data classification
- Egress Switch Client and Gateway apps can automatically detect classified content and apply policy-driven encryption appropriate to the classification or protective marking
- This integration simplifies end-user encryption and provides higher levels of DLP
- In addition, automatic classification can be applied based on a pre-defined rule set matching keywords and regular expressions.
- Automatic classification and encryption policies can be applied using the following criteria:
- Detection of keywords and meta data embedded within email message body and attachments including Word (.doc, .docx), Excel (.xls, .xlsx), PowerPoint (.ppt, .pptx) and PDF
- Automatically encrypt based on content, classification and recipient addresses to enforce security between trusted entities
Switch Email and Document Classifier overview
Egress Switch Email and Document Classifier employs a combination of user-driven and centrally enforced classification to enable users to add visual and system identifiers to MS Office documents and to use MS Outlook to assist with the identification and protection of data.
Desktop users can select appropriate levels of classification from a plugin within MS Office and MS Outlook. The ‘one-click’ process applies visual markers as well as inserting meta data within the document. This allows for Egress Switch Client and/or Gateway to recognise how the document has been marked, and what level of security should be applied.
It is also possible for the service to automate, prompt, and block decisions made by the user, to ensure the right classification is applied. This interaction can be either at the document and email client level or at the email gateway. Many organisations choose a hybrid approach, embracing and encouraging user awareness but protecting the organisation from human error.
Classifying data at the point of creation allows you understand the kind of data you have, enabling the user and the software to make more informed decisions about the level of security that should be applied to that data. Switch Email and Document Classifier provides full integration between classifying Office documents and then applying sensible security to the documents when sending them in Outlook. This comprehensive classification and encryption solution works this way:
- The user classifies the MS Office document they are working on, perhaps classifying it as Confidential - External
- In MS Outlook they try to send the classified document as an attachment, sending it unencrypted
- A centrally-configured rule is in place, which means that since the attached document has been classified, the email is automatically encrypted before it is sent
An alternative situation could be a user trying to email a document that has been classified as Confidential for internal use only. When they go to send the internally classified document to an external domain, the system can prevent the sending.
Rules can also be configured to force the classification of a document at its point of creation. Here, a dialog prompts the user to classify the document they are working on:
Policy control in MS Outlook, Word, Excel and Powerpoint prevents accidental or malicious release of content, feeding back intelligent rules into the application of security. For example, Switch Email and Document Classifier can be configured to automatically classify or encrypt, or even prevent, the unencrypted sending of sensitive data such as credit card numbers.
Switch Email and Document Classifier provides clear visibility over data being shared across the organisation. Knowing how their users classify data and manage sensitive content is highly important for businesses looking to prevent data loss and remain compliant.
Classification reporting allows administrators to produce reports on classification usage within their organisations. For example, reports that display how much ‘Confidential – Internal Use Only’ data is being shared, and the regions this is being shared.
Enforce classification centrally to reduce risk of human error.
- Classification of both new and existing documents can be centrally enforced to reduce the risk that human error poses to data protection.
- In addition, integration with the Egress Switch Client App and Egress Switch Gateway ensures all classified documents are encrypted when shared via email and file transfer.
By default, the Switch Email and Document Classifier can append visual identifiers (headers and footers) to Word, Excel, PowerPoint documents, and email message body. The headers and footers are fully customisable including content and branding to match your corporate policies and identity.
Visual identifiers will be present on all printed copy and can be used as visual deterrent to data mishandling.
Switch Email and Document Classifier helps organisations to meet data protection and compliance regulations, as well as increasing end-user awareness and education. However, if required, these identifiers can be removed, with content still classified via the underlying metadata. Advice on how and when to classify data can be displayed to the user at any interaction with content including when protective marking should be applied.
Switch Email and Document Classifier user experience
- Integrated MS Office Add-in for Word, Excel & PowerPoint, with dynamically configurable classification labels
- Integrated MS Outlook Add-in
- Classification policies can be closely integrated into Switch’s encryption policies to enforce and simplify the encryption process
- Fully configurable end-user experience including the ability to enforce selection of classification for any new or existing documents
- Header and footer classification information are fully customisable based on corporate requirements, including text and branding
- Perform classification of email and office documents at the desktop or at the email gateway
- Assign dynamic policies based on individual users or groups, or apply organisation wide
- Maintain detailed auditing and tracking of information as it enters and leaves your organisation
- Integrate with existing DLP & content filtering tools
Trial The Software
We believe that using Switch for yourself is the best way to demonstrate how effective it can be. So why not contact us to set up a free software trial today?
National charity Dyslexia Action protects confidential client information using award-winning email and file encryption software solution
London – July 2014 – Egress Software Technologies is pleased to report the uptake of its award-winning email and file encryption software, Egress Switch, by national charity Dyslexia Actio...Read More
Featured Blog Post
Two-thirds of companies admit they should be doing more to protect sensitive information and prevent a data breach – survey reveals
Research carried out by Egress Software Technologies at Infosecurity Europe 2016, has confirmed many organisations are not currently doing enough to protect sensitive data and fear a data breach as a ...Read More
Thursday 19th January 2017, 13:00 EST – The Enemy Within: Overcoming a Company’s Greatest Security Vulnerability – Its People
It has been reported that approximately a quarter of breaches are caused by human error or employee negligence. With the increasing costs and risks associated with data breaches, we will be discussing...Read More