Technical Operations Placement 2019
Location: Old Street, London & Sheffield, South Yorkshire
Egress are now looking for two new Technical Operations placements in the Operations Team!
Egress Software Technologies is an award-winning provider of encryption services designed to secure all forms of electronic information via a single platform. Egress encryption services are currently used by organisations around the world across multiple sectors. We’re proud of our award-winning technology which is the very best in the business. At the 2018 Computing Security Awards we were named 'Encryption Solution of the Year', and in 2017 we won the 'Cloud Security Solution of the Year'. In the past year we have brought on 80 people into our 180 people organisation, and growth is set to keep going. Our success in hiring graduates, placement students and apprentices was recognised at Rate My Placement's 2018 National Undergraduate Employability award where we have been shortlisted for the 'Best Small to Medium-sized Employer' for the third year in a row.
As Egress Software Technologies continues its path of exciting growth, we are offering an exceptional opportunity for two undergraduates to take part in a 12-month placement in our Operations department as part of your university degree.
If you think you could be our next Technical Operations Placement student, please submit your CV and a short personalised covering letter to the link below.
Any applications without a covering letter will not be considered.
What would I be doing as a Technical Operations Placement?
Your placement will be split in two halves, you will spend 6 months of your year in the Internal Infrastructure (IT Internal Support) team, and 6 months in the Customer Infrastructure (Technical Operations) team.
Our (IT Internal Support) team is charged with designing, maintaining and developing our internal IT infrastructure – both on-site and in the cloud. Covering around 200 employees in four physical offices in London, Sheffield, Boston and Toronto, the team supports a mixture of desktop operating systems, on-premise and public cloud servers and cloud-based applications such as Office365.
Your main responsibilities in these 6 months will be:
• Addressing internal support tickets made by employees
• Supporting desktop operating systems (Windows 10, Linux and Mac OS)
• Supporting IT server infrastructure (Windows 2016 and Linux)
• Troubleshooting networking and VPN issues
• Supporting all devices (mobile phones, laptops, desktops) as well as the IP-based office phone systems
• Supporting other internal applications (CRM, Zendesk, Redmine etc.)
• Driving the onward enhancement of the Egress IT Infrastructure by contributing to project-based work – such as the hardware upgrades/migration.
Our (Technical Operations) team are responsible for delivering and maintaining all customer services, these are hosted in Amazon AWS and Microsoft Azure. The team are responsible for ensuring a high level of uptime on customer centric hosted infrastructure. The team also oversees the lifecycle of customer infrastructure, including commission, running and termination of services, as well as upgrades, security patching and migrations.
Your main responsibilities will be:
• Azure and AWS capacity and cost management
• Providing initial response to monitoring alerts and event, and ensuring the right resolver group is engaged
• Compliance auditing against defined build policies
• Proactive Management reporting (patch compliance)
• Implementing changes
The role will either be based in Sheffield or London, will start in Summer 2019 and will last 12 months.
Would I suit this role?
You will report to the IT Manager/Technical Operations Manager, and be happy to be based in either our Sheffield or our London for the year. These roles will be given to current second year Computer Science/Electrical engineering (or related subject) students with a solid technical background in desktop applications and networking, who have a strong desire to succeed and pursue a career in either Customer or Internal Infrastructure Support. We seek candidates who thrive on challenges and constantly seek to extend their technical portfolio.
The ideal candidates will have:
• An analytical mind, and able to use tools such as Excel (for example Pivot tables) to turn data in to meaningful information to management
• A basic understanding of networking (IP addresses and DNS)
• The ability to work on complex problems, applying a logical investigative approach to solving problems
• Good communication skills to work in remote teams
• A basic knowledge of scripting (e.g. Bash or Powershell)
• A basic knowledge of operating system administration (Windows and/or Linux)
What rewards and benefits would I get in this role?
The base salary for this position is £17,000 per annum (London) or £15,000 (Sheffield).
If you manage to impress us throughout the duration of your placement year, it is possible you could be offered a permanent Graduate position.
• 25 days annual leave
• Free breakfasts
• Fully funded office socials (Trampolining, Bowling, Rounders, Sports Day, Pub Quiz, Board Games Night etc.)
• Invite to our Annual Kick Off event in February (2x nights away in UK resort, team building activities, all meals and accommodation paid for)
• Free eyecare vouchers
• Cycle to work discount scheme
• RAC discounted breakdown cover
• Egress perks portal – retail discount scheme
• Pool league
• Company sports teams
• Casual dress code
• Friday beer o’clock
• Charity events
Deadline for applications: 2nd February 2019.