IT Operations Placement 2020 **London and Sheffield**
We are offering an exceptional opportunity for an undergraduate to take part in a 12-month placement in our Operations team as part of your university degree based in our London or Sheffield office commencing in Summer 2021.
Egress Software Technologies is now looking for a new IT Operations Placement!
Position: IT Operations Placement
Location: White Collar Factory, Old Street, London or Acero, 3 Digital Campus, Sheffield
Role Requirements: Second Year Undergraduate Student at a UK-based University, predicted a 2:1 or above in a Computer Science/Electrical Engineering – or related degree.
Duration: 12 months, commencing Summer 2021
Who are Egress?
Our vision is for a connected world in which people communicate efficiently and securely. To achieve this, we provide human layer security to protect individual users and stop breaches before they happen. Our patented technologies are built using leading-edge contextual machine learning and powerful encryption that mitigate modern risks in ways that other solutions simply can’t achieve. Today, we provide intelligent email security and collaboration solutions that prevent accidental and intentional breaches, protect sensitive data, and equip CISOs and their teams with the detailed reporting required for compliance purposes.
Egress is headquartered in London, with regional offices in the UK, the US, Canada and the Netherlands.
Our success in hiring graduates, placement students and apprentices has been recognised at The National Undergraduate Employability Awards, where we have been shortlisted four years in a row for the ‘Best Small to Medium-sized Employer’.
As Egress Software Technologies continues its path of exciting growth, we are offering the exceptional opportunity to join our IT Operations team in either London or Sheffield. The candidates will be an undergraduate student looking to undertake a 12-month placement in our IT department as part of their university degree, commencing Summer 2021.
Our Placement community consists of ambitious team players with excellent interpersonal skills and a get-up-and-go attitude. Our fast-paced growth and unique company culture welcomes new employees and inspires them to thrive.
What would I be doing as IT Operations Placement?
Our Internal Infrastructure (IT Internal Support) team is charged with designing, maintaining and developing our internal IT infrastructure – both on-site and cloud. Covering over 250 employees in all of our offices. The team supports a mixture of desktop operating systems, on-premise and public cloud servers and cloud-based applications such as Office365. You will report to the IT Operations Manager.
Your main responsibilities will be:
- Addressing internal support tickets made by employees
- Supporting desktop operating systems - Windows 10, Linux and Mac OS
- Supporting on-prem and cloud IT server infrastructure - Windows 2016/2019 and Centos 7/8
- Troubleshooting networking and VPN issues
- Supporting all employee devices (mobile phones, laptops, desktops) as well as the IP-based office phone systems
- Supporting other internal applications – e.g. Salesforce, Zoom Video Conferencing, Office365
- Driving the onward enhancement of the Egress IT Infrastructure - by contributing to project-based work, e.g. the hardware upgrades/migration, rolling out new services
Who is Egress looking for?
This role is suited to current second year Computer Science/Electrical engineering (or related subject) students with a solid technical background in desktop applications and networking, who have a strong desire to succeed and pursue a career in Internal Infrastructure Support. We seek candidates who thrive on challenges and constantly seek to extend their technical portfolio.
The ideal candidates will have:
- An analytical mind, and able to use tools such as Excel (for example Pivot tables) to turn data in to meaningful information to management
- A basic understanding of networking (IP addresses and DNS)
- The ability to work on complex problems, applying a logical investigative approach to solving problems
- Good communication skills to work in remote teams
- A basic knowledge of scripting (e.g. Bash or Powershell)
- A basic knowledge of operating system administration (Windows and/or Linux)
What rewards and benefits would I get in this role?
The salary for our London-based role is £18,000 and the salary for our Sheffield-based role is £15,000. See benefits below.
The role will be based at Egress’ headquarters in Old Street, London or Acero, 3 Digital Campus, Sheffield. Please outline in your application which office you would prefer to be based at. In light of the COVID-19 pandemic we have implemented a number of working from home measures at Egress. Pre-pandemic, every Egress office was a fantastic place to work. Now, with remote working the ‘new normal’, we’ve made sure that we’ve kept the great office atmosphere, wherever you’re working. Weekly all staff calls, our new ‘Home Working Legend of the Week’ award, and regular giveaways mean the Egress culture is definitely still in full flow.
To protect the wellbeing of our employees, our company policy states that all employees must live within a 90-minute commute or be willing to relocate for the year.
How can I apply?
If you think you could be our next IT Operations Placement Student, please send us your CV and accompanying Cover Letter by clicking the ‘Apply now’.
Please note that applications without a Cover Letter will not be considered.
Deadline for applications is 18th January 2021
- Charity events
- Monthly staff socials funded by the company
- Annual fully-funded company Kick Off events
- An additional day of annual leave after your first year
- Flexible dress code
- Management / peer recognition schemes
- White Collar Factory perks including rooftop bar and running track
- Beer o'clock
- Pool league
- Free eye-care vouchers on completion of probation
- Free breakfasts
- Free fruit
- Fully-funded BUPA private health cover on completion of probation
- Discounted gym membership
- Company sports teams
- Cycle to work (discounted bike and equipment) scheme
- 25 days annual leave
- WCF discounts
- RAC discounted breakdown cover
- Rush hair discount
- Contributory pension scheme (ER: 4%)
- BUPA perks
- Egress Perks portal (retail discount scheme)
- Eligibility to participate in Enterprise Management Investment (EPI) stock option scheme after 1 year's service
About our London office
Our London office is situated a one-minute walk from Old Street underground station, right on London's renowned Old Street Roundabout, which has become the centre of the city's tech industry over the last decade.
About our Sheffield office
Our Sheffield office is conveniently located in the centre of the city's new and growing digital campus. It's a short walk from Sheffield train station, and a shorter walk to Sheffield city centre and Sheffield Hallam's university campus.